My family home was burglarized when I was a teenager, but that was a long time ago. It’s easy for me to get complacent after so many years of feeling safe. We don’t have a lot, but we do have a few special things that I would hate to have taken. Some of these I keep in our home jewelry safe most of the time. Other items I put in when we are away from home on vacation. Our jewelry safe is great for all kinds of valuables. Because it has burglar and fire protection I can keep our important papers in it as well as jewelry, silverware, cameras, photos and the like.
Getting inside the mind of a burglar can alert us to ways we can protect ourselves. Taking some basic precautions along with installing and using a good home security system and a jewelry safe or other good burglar resistant safe will go a long way towards protecting us and our valuables.
Thoughts from the perspective of a burglar…
- You live in a “safe” neighborhood where you don’t even need to lock your doors. Thanks for making it easy for me to make myself at home.
- It’s a beautiful spring day and you leave the window open. Just what I need for a quick entrance.
- Don’t have time to set the alarm but think you’re safe because the house is all locked up. I won’t hesitate to break a window to get in. It may get your neighbor’s attention for a minute but if he doesn’t hear it again he won’t give it another thought.
- I love when I can see right in through your windows, it gives me a sneak preview of what I can pick up when I visit.
- Yes, I really do notice those newspapers collecting in your driveway. I may even put a gardener’s flyer on your door to see when you take it down.
- Do I look familiar? I was at your home last week delivering your new sofa, cleaning your drapery, or painting your home.
- Today I’m carrying a clipboard, tomorrow I will carry a rake. I enjoy dressing the part of anyone but a thief.
- Loud dogs or nosy neighbors, either of these often keep me away.
- It’s great when you post your vacation on Facebook, sometimes I am able to look up your address.
- Think you’ve found a great hiding place for that jewelry? Sorry, I won’t hesitate to look in clothes pockets, sock drawers, medicine cabinets or inside the piano, to name a few.
- I don’t have time to break into that home jewelry safe, but I will take it with me if it’s not bolted down.
Though it has been many years since my family home was burglarized I will always remember that terrible feeling. The knowledge that someone had come into our home and gone through our personal belongings is awful. That coupled with discovering they had taken the special ring my mom passed down me made for an experience I don’t want to have again.
Call or come by Maximum Security Safes and let us help you protect your valuables.
(714) 550-4123 (800) 538-0600
1415 E McFadden Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92705